Your heart is the most hardworking organ in your entire body, pumping blood and life throughout your veins. Heart problems can arise from various factors like family history, smoking, sedentary life style, hypertension, diabetes, high cholesterol, prolonged stress, congenital (Defect by birth) and others. Our cardiology department in HHC is the most developed department that have fully equipped non-invasive cardiology lab with latest state of the art equipment. All the doctors are well-trained cardiologists and highly experienced senior consultants of Nepal.
The arrhythmia clinic, the first and the only dedicated arrhythmia clinic in Nepal, is a super specialized outpatient clinic designed for the care of patients with arrhythmia (abnormal heart beat). The clinic is staffed with a Canadian board certified Electro physiologist Dr. Roshan Raut. Our goals at arrhythmia clinic are:
- Evaluation of tachyarrhythmia (fast heart beat) and treatment with appropriate antiarrhythmic medication or consideration for radiofrequency ablation.
- Evaluation of brady arrhythmias (slow heart beat) for the need of pacemaker.
- Evaluation of life threatening ventricular arrhythmias or high-risk patients for the need of defibrillators. Defibrillator is very important to prevent sudden cardiac death in selected patients.
- Evaluation of heart failure patients (difficulty in breathing) for the need of cardiac resynchronization therapy (CRT). Research has shown that CRT improves quality of life (difficulty in breathing), pumping capacity of the heart (LVEF) and also survival.
- If interventional electrophysiological procedures are needed, the patients will be taken to appropriate hospital, mainly Shahid Gangalal National Heart Centre.
We have dedicated hypertensive clinic to take care of patients requiring diagnosis and management of high blood pressure.
The device clinic is another important feature of cardiology department in HHC. This is a specialized clinic designed to take care of patients with all sorts of implanted cardiac devices like pacemakers, defibrillators, cardiac resynchronization therapy (Biventricular pacemakers) and implantable loop recorders. We perform regular device programming at follow up visits to make sure that these devices are functioning well. This clinic is staffed with Consultant Cardiologist and Electro physiologist Dr. Roshan Raut.
An Electrocardiogram (ECG) is a basic and painless test that measures and records the electrical activities of the heart. This is a simple and inexpensive, still very useful and diagnostic test for many heart problems.
Echocardiogram (Echo), also known as the ultrasound of the heart, is an imaging technology that uses ultrasound to create the images of your heart. This is a diagnostic test for most of the heart problems. The goal of Echo is:
- to evaluate the size of the heart
- to evaluate the morphology and function of heart valves
- to evaluate the function of the heart
- to evaluate if there is intracardiac shunt(hole in the heart) or congenital abnormalities
-to assess the big blood vessels arising from the heart.
Treadmill test (TMT) ...
The holter monitoring is a portable device used to make a continuous recording of your heart beat. If you have symptoms like palpitations, fainting attack or dizziness, wearing a holter might identify the cause of your symptoms.
An ambulatory blood pressure monitoring is a portable blood pressure recording device. It is used to record blood pressure readings at specified times during a 24 hour period.
We have varieties’ of cardiac health packages, as per your need. Performing cardiac packages regularly will allow you to know your risk factor and cardiac status, which will ultimately help you to modify your risk factors in time, to prevent future heart attacks and strokes.
We have a digital chest x-ray in HHC which shows details of the heart, lungs, blood vessels and bones. From cardiac perspective, a chest x-ray is usually done to evaluate how large the heart is and to see whether there is fluid in the lungs caused by heart failure.
A carotid Doppler is an imaging technology that uses ultrasound to examine the carotid arteries located in the neck. This test can show the narrowing or possible plaque in the carotid arteries, which is known to be the risk factor of future stroke or heart attacks.
High blood pressure in selected patients, especially when onset is at very young or at old age, might be due to secondary cause like renal artery narrowing. Renal artery Doppler can identify renal artery narrowing as the cause of high blood pressure.